Monday, December 8, 2008

Testing of Three Potential Donors is complete!

Today we visited UK's transplant clinic for testing of top three potential candidates. Justin, Carma, and I completed lab work and met with the living donor nurse coordinator separately and as a group. The nurse was very kind. She informed us of the risks involved with donating. She also told us that we should know by the end of the week or beginning of next week if one or more of us is not ruled out and eligible to continue with the testing.

I had asked her if we would have any input into who was chosen as the donor if all three candidates were equally compatible with Mark's blood and tissue type. I may be thinking too far ahead, but I was happy to know that we will have some input into the decision making process.

We also found out that if one of us is selected as the donor, the surgery will probably occur in late January or early February. I guess there is still a great deal of testing to be conducted with the donor and with Mark.

Although today's visit was not as lengthy and involved as past visits, it was emotional and an unique experience to say the least. We see Mark's Aunt Carma and her husband-Mike-quite often when they visit Harlan. But, seeing them walk into the clinic created a different feeling. Since I've known Mark, I've always admired Carma's loving and gentle spirit. She has a way of making you feel at home and comfortable. She did the same today.

I can't express how it felt to meet Justin. When he walked into the clinic, I almost cried. I can't imagine being 18 years old and willing to donate a kidney to someone I barely know. He is such an amazing young man. His compassion and kindness is both admirable and amazing. I am honestly in awe of his thoughtfulness for others. My prayer is that one day Mark Thomas will grow to be as compassionate and kind as Justin.

Please keep praying for us! We will find out soon if one of us can donate to Mark!

2 comments:

Margaret M said...

I cried when I read the comments about Justin and Aunt Carma. You are trully blessed!

Beth said...

You don't know me but I attend GFBC. I love Kelly and Roy so much and I wanted to let you know that I have been praying for you.
God has a plan and I know that He is going to work this out for you. He is the Savior who can move the mountains. I am praying for a supernatural peace and calm and that you would feel the Father's very arms wrapped around you both during this time.