Sunday, November 13, 2011

Potential Match Identified...testing to follow

On Friday, we received a phone call from Hopkins. Mark's nurse stated that a search of their database identified a potential match for Mark and my mother. This means that my mom appears to "match" a person in need of a kidney and that Mark appears to "match" the person's loved one who is donating on their behalf. The next step is to send blood/tissue samples to Baltimore for testing. It will take about 2 weeks to analyze the sample once received. This could potentially be incredibly great news (i.e. both pairs match-Mom and the person in need of a kidney-Mark and other Donor)! However, we are cautiously optimistic as we could find out that one or both pairs did not "match."

As I was painting Mark Thomas' room this afternoon, I listened to Chris Tomlin's "I will rise" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8w7mGug0c&noredirect=1). The words of the first verse of the song are so applicable to our lives at this moment. Despite how crazy our life seems right now as we wait to hear back from Hopkins, I have peace about our future. As the song expresses, often times our hearts and flesh fail. It is often a struggle to keep a positive perspective and not to be overwhelmed by "not knowing" if and when Mark's health will be restored. Regardless of whether the pairs match or ultimately whether or not a third transplant happens and is successful, I rest in the fact that the "victory is won" and I can always rely upon the "Anchor for my soul" that my God has become.

There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an Anchor for my soul
I can say, "It is Well"
Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He has risen from the dead
And I will rise
when He calls my name
No more sorrow
No more pain!

We will post more information as we learn more. Please continue to pray for our family. We are also requesting prayer for the other patient and family involved in the testing. Thanks!

3 comments:

Jennifer Brock said...

Prayers for everyone involved! Enjoyed talking with Mark's Mom @ Halloween. She said your family was doing well considering all of the change! I know they miss you terribly! Give Mark Thomas a squeeze for me! Love to you all!

Jennifer Brock

Kelly said...

I'm praying for you all, Kellie. You continue to be in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Oh, What wonderful news......I understand not wanting to get too excited, pending the results of the numerous testing that is required. I consider it an honor to pray for you and the other "paired donation couple"..... will continue to pray for Mark's health to be restored, however our Lord has it planned. Will share this with my brother's wife, I know she will want to offer prayers on your behalf as well. Will continue to submit your names and needs to our church for prayer. Praising the Lord for the peace you have in all of this.....it can only be Him!